Introducing teams, men: Turkey
- The Turks debuted in 1966 at the Europeans, finished 16th, returned in 1991, got the 14th position. Another two decades gone when they managed to qualify again, for the 2010 edition where they came 10th. They were still on board for 2012 but ended up in the bottom (12th), then failed to qualify again for 2014. In Belgrade they finished bottom after losing the penalty shootout against Malta in the last match – they avenged that in the same way two years ago, this time they won the shootout to finish 15th.
- Besides the Europeans, the Turks have never taken part at any other major tournaments (Olympics, Worlds, World Cups) and failed to survive the prelims in the World League.
- Their best ever result is a bronze medal from the 1987 Mediterranean Games.
- The Turks’ matches in five appearances at the Europeans: 39 matches, 2 wins, 4 draws, 33 losses, goals: 206-559.
- Turkey beat Lithuania easily and played a surprising 8-8 draw with the Netherlands in the qualifications to finish atop in their group.