Introducing teams, men: Germany
- Germany is one of the four nations having taken part in the inaugural event in 1926. Since then they only missed 4 editions out of 31: 1927, 1947, 1950 and 1962. Their best showing came in 1981 and 1989 when they won the event (as FRG). Clinched silver medal in 1931, 1934 and 1938, bronze in 1926, 1985 and 1995. Further placements: 4th in 1987, 5th in 1983 and in 2012, 6th in 1954, 1977, 2003, 2008, 2010, 7th in 1958, 1966, 1970, 1991, 8th in 1974, 1999, 2006, 9th in 1993, 2001 and 2014, 10th in 1997, 11th in 2016 and 9th in 2018.
- The Germans were Olympic champions in 1928 and runners-up in 1932 and 1936, earned a bronze in 1984 and a 4th place finish in 1988. Since then they had mixed fortunes to make the Games, the last time they missed the qualification after narrowly losing to Hungary in the decisive match at the qualification tournament.
- At the Worlds their best result is a bronze from 1982, while they won the World Cup in 1985. Their last medal is a bronze from the 2005 World League.
- Recently they failed to qualify for the last two Olympics (2012, 2016) and the 2015 and 2017 World Championships. They were back to the action in Gwangju and managed to qualify for the quarter-finals where they lost to Croatia and then finished 8th.
- Before that they played each but one edition of the Olympics between 1928 and 2008 (missed 1948) and were part of all World Champs from the beginning (1973) till 2013.
- The overall match stats at the Europeans for Germany (incl. FRG): 207 matches, 94 wins, 21 draws, 92 losses, goals: 1431-1409.
- The Germans beat Switzerland and lost to Georgia in the qualifications.