Introducing teams, women: Germany
- The Germans missed the qualification for the first time ever in 2014 (they lost to France in the decisive match). They participated in all previous editions since 1985 with the best result coming right in the inaugural championships in Oslo where they got the bronze medal. After that they had mixed fortunes, though never made the semis after the knock-out phase came in from 1991. In 1987 they were 4th, then they came 5th in 1989, 6th in 1991, 1993, 1997, 7th in 1995, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 8th in 2012, 2016 and 2018. The last two occasions they barely made the quarters as they could beat the Serbs by a single goal in the decisive group match which secured them the 4th place in the group.
- Germany had a series of appearances on the world stage, they took part in six editions of the World Championships with 6th place finishes being the best ones in 1986 (as West Germany, FRG) and in 1991. However, they were able to qualify for the last time in 2009 and missed the last five Worlds.
- They never qualified for the Olympics.
- In the World League they managed to take part in the Super Final in 2012, finishing 6th.
- The Germans’ matches at the Europeans so far: 105 with 27 wins, 2 draws and 77 losses. Goals: 746-941.
- They had to overcome some troubles in the qualifications as they lost the first leg in Romania (13-14) but avenged that defeat at home (14-11).