Introducing teams, women: France
- France has a modest history in the women’s game: they are among the founders, took part in the first edition in 1985 (finished 7th), then came the two best results, bronze medals from 1987 and 1989. From 1991 a slow decline followed with placements 4., 5., 5., 8., 8., 8. They missed the qualification in 2003, 2006 and in 2012, made it in 2008 (8th), then in the last three editions and finished 7th on each occasion (2014-16-18).
- The French showed up in the world stage for a couple of times, their best ranking was 7th places at World Cups (1989, 1995, 1997) and a 9th place at the World Championships (1991 and 1994). They could return to the Worlds in Kazan 2015 for the first time since 2003 – they finished 14th. In 2017 they improved to the 11th place but failed to qualify again for 2019.
- They could never make the cut for the Olympics but can already eye an appearance in Paris 2024.
- The French matches so far: 69 games, 30 wins and 39 losses. Goal difference: 509-894.
- France breathed through the qualifications this time, beat Ukraine 20-1 at home and 13-6 in Kharkiv