Introducing teams, women: Italy
- Italy is tied first with the Netherlands with 5 titles. They had an amazing run between 1995 and 2006, playing in the finals in 6 consecutive editions, winning four (1995, 1997, 1999, 2003). Their 5th win came in 2012.
- Italy is a specialist at the Europeans: they first entered in 1989 and never missed the semi-finals till 2016. Their streak counted 14 editions, and they missed the podium only 5 times (coming 4th on each occasion). However, this run came to an end in 2018 when they lost the quarter-final to Hungary 10-9, then Russia beat them for the 5th place.
- The overall Italian tally is still impressive: 5 golds, 2 silvers and 2 bronzes.
- The Italians were Olympic champions in 2004, silver medallists in Rio 2016. Between the two they finished 6th in Beijing and 7th in London.
- At the World Championships they played three back-to-back finals in 1998, 2001 and 2003, winning the first two. However, that great run was followed by modest performances, they finished on the podium only once between 2005 and 2019, had a bronze in 2015. Both in 2017 and 2019 they finished 6th, in Gwangju they lost the quarters to Hungary once again, by a single goal (6-7) like in Barcelona. Further placements: 4th in 2011, 5th in 2007, 7th in 2005, 9th in 2009, 10th in 2013.
- They had silvers from the World Cups (1993, 2006) and from the World League Super Finals (2006, 2011, 2014).
- The overall stats for Italy at the Europeans: 91 games, 62 wins, 5 draws and 24 losses. Goal difference: 980-661. Italy is set to score its 1000th goal in Budapest.